Monday, February 6, 2012

The best song this week is "The Woman on the Screen" by Boris

Nothing this week really jumped out at me until I was riding along the lakefront path after the Super Bowl and I was smacked in the teeth with a tripleshot of Boris / Torche / Lightning Bolt. My mind was wandering to the golf course I was riding by and BAM, drums and crazy fuzzed bass and DRUMS and ferocity! I don’t normally cotton to open hi-hats ringing throughout a song, but when the riffs are this fuzzy and deep, the tinny hi-hats provide a roomy, practice-space looseness; it sounds like a bunch of people just snagged some instruments, hit record and started kicking ass. The riff hits hard on off-beats but hammers the 1s and the 3s -- a syncopation trick that adds heaviness but keeps the downbeats head-boppingly catchy.

I don’t usually listen to a Boris record all the way through, but every time one of their songs comes up on shuffle, I’m reminded of how much power and ferocity they pack into every song--even the pretty ones (“Parting” comes to mind). Somehow “The Woman on the Screen” had never piqued my interest before, but this time it leapt from the earbuds straight into my brain and had me pedaling faster and hitting the back button on the iPod as soon as it was done. And I can't lie -- I wasn't even 100% sure it was Boris. 99% of me said Boris, 1% said "but maybe this is Part Chimp?" Both bands have similar production qualities and talents for seismic, crushing rockness.

The Woman on the Screen” is the best song this week. And if you’re putting it in a playlist, follow it up with Torche and Lightning Bolt. You won’t feel the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment