Monday, April 9, 2012

The best song this week is "Fever" by Maps & Atlases

This one's a no-brainer. It'll probably be the best song next week too.

Most bands are lucky to get one song this good in their entire existences, and here's Maps & Atlases' turn. Songs like this, it's like the band didn't even write them. Sure, they're one of the best around, but this is perfection! Surely it was bequeathed unto them by some Illuminati maestro.

Confident, patient, otherworldly, driving, instantly catchy, tons going on but never sounding busy -- it's a perfect pop song. I've listened to it 30+ times in the past four days and while I've gotten through the whole record about 5 or 6 times, mostly I've just been going back to "Fever". When I try to get away from the record altogether, I come back to "Fever". When I hit the links, I had "Fever" running through my head. And I played well.

The production is timeless and yet so perfectly 80s in the drum sound. The distant keyboards and delayed guitars provide an epic sweep, and the hi-hat/bass groove is dreamy and locked in, a beautiful machine with a heart. At this point I'm too tired to write anything more. Maybe I'll expound more on it later. For now, just stream the whole album over at Paste Magazine, and buy it when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment